Rechercher dans ce blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Sweet Potato Casserole with pineapple - Now Habersham

teke.indah.link

My Bob loves sweet potatoes. He loves them baked, mashed, boiled or roasted. But what he really loves is his mom’s Sweet Potato Casserole. Luckily, we found the recipe in her church’s cookbook that was published in 2005 so we can share it with you.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my mom put her sweet potato casserole into hollowed-out orange halves and covered them with marshmallows. Even though I didn’t like sweet potatoes (and still don’t, to be honest), my mom’s sweet potatoes always smelled amazed and looked great.

Bob’s mom used a recipe that was decidedly different than my mom’s–to the point that they probably shouldn’t be compared. And I realize now why Bob always liked his mom’s best. It included an entire can of pineapple, one of Bob’s favorite things.

I do remember when we were first dating how awkward it was having Christmas dinner at their house. To start with, it took his entire family years to learn that I wasn’t budging about the sweet potatoes. That probably wasn’t too gracious on my part, but I got deathly ill off sweet potatoes as a kid when a teacher forced me to eat them. It’s just not going to happen again.

Plus, everything on the table was as different from what I was used to as our moms’ sweet potato casseroles were. Bob’s mom Cris made a dressing heavy with sage. My mom used no seasoning except salt, pepper, and vegetables like onions and celery to add flavor.

Bob’s mom made giblet gravy, which had to have been one of the worst things I had seen in my life to that point. My mom made a pure gravy flavored with turkey stock and no gizzards, hearts, and whatever else was put into that giblet gravy. I will admit that after a few years, Cris made plain gravy for me. I knew then that I had been accepted into the family.

Over the years, I fell in love with her sage dressing, her cranberry salad, and her pineapple casserole, but not the sweet potato casserole or the giblet dressing. So, in Cris’ honor, I share her Sweet Potato Casserole recipe. I was surprised to find out how easy it is to make. She used canned mashed sweet potatoes, which is a great time saver. Enjoy!

Cris’ Sweet Potato Casserole was sweeter with sugar, brown sugar, and pineapple.

Cris’ Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

2 (15 oz) cans mashed sweet potatoes

1/4 cup skim or whole milk

1/2 cup white sugar (or sweetener)

2 Tbsp grated orange rind

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup butter substitute

1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple (drain half of the juice)

2 eggs

1 Tbsp vanilla

dash of salt

Topping:

1-1/2 cups chopped nuts

3/4 cup butter substitute, melted

3/4 cup self-rising flour

1 cup brown sugar

Directions:

Melt butter and add all the ingredients listed for the casserole. Mix well. Put casserole mixture in a baking dish.

Mix topping ingredients together and spoon evenly over potatoes mixture

Bake at 305 degrees for 25 minutes.

Serves: 6-8 (less if you invite Bob)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email



December 30, 2020 at 06:01PM
https://ift.tt/2Mb9mdY

Sweet Potato Casserole with pineapple - Now Habersham

https://ift.tt/2rh4zOj
Potato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Red River Valley red, yellow potato crop doing OK — so far - Park Rapids Enterprise

teke.indah.link Most red and yellow potatoes, which are sold in the fresh market, are not grown under irrigation in the Red River Valley in...

Postingan Populer